Friday 3 December 2010

Jesus, and shall it ever be

Jesus, and shall it ever be,
A mortal man, ashamed of Thee?
Ashamed of Thee, whom angels praise,
Whose glories shine through endless days?

Ashamed of Jesus, of my God,
Who purchased me with His own blood!
Of Him who, to retrieve my loss,
Despised the shame, endured the cross!

Ashamed of Jesus, that dear Friend
On Whom my hopes of heaven depend!
No; when I blush, be this my shame,
That I no more revere His Name.

Ashamed of Jesus! yes, I may
When I’ve no guilt to wash away;
No tear to wipe, no good to crave,
No fears to quell, no soul to save.

Ashamed of Jesus, of my Lord,
By all heaven's glorious hosts adored!
No, I will make my boast of Thee,
In time and in eternity!

Till then, nor is my boasting vain,
Till then I boast a Saviour slain!
And O may this my glory be,
That Christ is not ashamed of me!

Joseph Grigg & Benjamin Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment